36% of men and 40% of women are zinc deficient
What is zinc?
- It’s the 2nd most abundant essential trace element in the body
- It’s involved in immune function, protein synthesis, wound healing, reproduction, behaviour and learning, and thyroid function
- It’s essential for the production of stomach acid (HCL)
- It’s required for a proper sense of taste and smell
What are the signs of zinc deficiency?
- Learning and behaviour issues (hyperactivity, ADHD)
- Mental health issues (depression, anxiety, mood swings, fatigue)
- Hormonal imbalances: PMS, decreased thyroid function, low insulin levels
- Skin concerns (acne, eczema, psoriasis), poor wound healing, white spots under fingernails
- Low immune system
- Low sperm count
How do I know if I have low zinc?
Your Naturopathic Doctor can run 2 simple tests to assess your zinc levels:
- Oral Zinc Tally Test
- Serum zinc (blood test)
What foods are high in zinc?
- Sesame seeds
- Pumpkin seeds